Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One of my favorite parts

As I was taking things off my classroom walls today in preparation for the end of the year, I found myself removing one of my class' most prized possessions - our letter from Mickey Mouse himself.
Chances are, you've seen this on Pinterest. From the moment I pinned this idea, I knew we had to try it! When we were learning about/practicing friendly letters this year, we each wrote to one of our favorite Disney characters. (I even wrote one to my favorite princess, Jasmine. I made sure to let her know that I still have - and sometimes use - my Princess Jasmine beach towel!) The kids were BEYOND excited when we got a response...and I have to admit, so was I! Our class received a letter from Mickey and each student got a postcard with their name written on the back "signed" by various characters. It was so neat! Here are the examples of the cards we received. I apologize for their blurriness. I am a little too tired to try and take better ones. Maybe I should say lazy...either way it's pretty sad!
This is the card all the girls got.

This is the card all the boys got. Again, sorry for the blur!
If you're interested in writing letters to Disney, here is what I did. Each child made a final draft of their letter using the ReadWriteThink Letter Generator. Once that was finished, I put all of the letters in a big envelope and sent them to this address:


Walt Disney World Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040


I made sure to request that any responses be sent to my school address, care of me. Disney did not disappoint! I sent off the letters on the Friday before our spring break and recieved the response package the Monday that we came back. It was such a great surprise to have waiting for us on our first day back from break! A word of advice: I think these are the only cards that Disney sends out, so it would be wise to have your students only write to one of the characters pictured above. Most of mine did, but I had a few who wrote to Woody, Buzz, etc. and they were a bit bummed when they didn't get an autograph from them. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment